I found this concept the most interesting. It helps explain why some people stay in relationships that appear to be one sided. Some people go along with the relationship because in their minds they weigh out the costs of leaving that person. If the costs outweigh the rewards the person may leave the relationship. This also helps explain why some people stay in abusive relationships. They weight the costs and rewards. Some might stay for financial reasons or other reasons, but as long as the person thinks there are more rewards than costs in the relationship they will stay with that person.
I think there are many relationships that exist because of people using the social exchange theory. They think that they will lose out on something if they leave the relationship so they stay. Others see that the rewards are not worth the risk so they leave the relationship.
I also found the concept of the social exchange theory particularly interesting. From personal experience. The benefits extremely outweigh the costs in these types of relationships. Whether it is a friendship or a romantic relationship, we do not want to be without it. Some reasons we stay in these types of relationships may include, for example, financial security in a romantic relationship. Another example would be “staying together for the kids.” It is only when the risks outweigh the benefits that these types of relationships come to an end. I believe these relationships are more common than Americans imagine they are.
ReplyDelete