Wednesday, September 28, 2011

monopolizing

      I think I am guilty of doing this. Sometimes when someone tells me something it reminds me of something similar I went through so I talk about it. I realize that this takes the attention away from the person that was speaking and places it on me. That's not fair to the person who is talking to me. They are confiding in me and I am making them feel like what they have to say doesn't matter. To fix this problem I must push aside thoughts about me that pop into my head when a person is talking to me. This will keep the focus on the person who is talking to me. This will also ensure that our communication is as effective as possible. After the person is done talking I will only give advice if the person requests it. This will also keep the focus on the person that is talking to me. Monopolizing can make a person feel like they don't matter. I know because it has been done before and when it happens I never get to say what I wanted to say. This means that we are not really communicating. If I want to communicate as effectively as possible I can't monopolize conversations.

1 comment:

  1. Hello unchienandalou,

    I also have the issue of monopolizing. I believe it is a common issue with miscommunication. You made an interesting point when you said that monopolizing can make a person feel like they don't matter. It made me realize that in situations that I've been in where I felt like the other person I was talking to was monopolizing, I also felt like I didn't matter. It was extremely frustrating trying to converse with someone that kept refocusing the conversation on themselves. I think it's important to identify with the person on a similar level, but keep the focus on that person unless they would like to discuss your personal experience with the subject. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete