Thursday, September 8, 2011

race

   I think the section in the book makes an interesting point when it says how nonwhite people are always classified by their race. For example, look at the president. Everyone is quick to point out that he is African-American. However, if he was Caucasian this wouldn't even be an issue. They wouldn't mention the president by their race if they were Caucasian. This points to the idea that Caucasian people are still the privileged class. I also thought it was interesting how the book mentions that whiteness has often been treated as normal. This makes sense if you look at things like the SAT test. The person who created that test was a big supporter of the K.K.K. His racial views made it's way to the test, but no one has questioned it. Why? Is it because white is seen as being normal? 

  I also think it's interesting how the book talks about the mother who tells her son that African Americans have to work twice as hard. When her son asks why his mom tells him that's just the way things are. I think accepting this fact is important in learning to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment