Friday, September 2, 2011

creating friendships

   I have a person that I work with that I now consider to be my friend. When we first began working it was an I-You relationship. We talked about work and other work related things. We didn't see each  other as unique individuals. Slowly, we began to talk about things that are outside of work. Now it seems like we can talk about just about anything. Of course, except deep relationship things dealing with the opposite sex. We still make jokes about that. I think a friendship begins when two people talk about things going on in their lives. It also helps create boundaries about the things that you can talk about and the things that are off limits. Knowing these boundaries also helps create a comfort zone in the friendship. It assures the other person that they will not be made uncomfortable by anything they say or by anything they are told..

1 comment:

  1. Nice post,
    Well, I work in an environment where we actually go through plenty of workers on a regular basis. So I have had to opportunity to meet a lot of interesting people. Of course there were those I was closer with than others, but I wanted to see what I could safely discuss with various people over time. What I learned was that of course that people are individuals and have different levels of comfort zones which expand at different rates. Sometimes I like to push it a bit far just because I am curious how people will react. Its also interesting to learn the opinions of others when there’s is less known about who is asking because there would be less to judge a person by. All in all I am generally considered a pretty cheerful guy at work but I am sure I have made more than one person uncomfortable ha.

    ReplyDelete