Friday, October 21, 2011

Disconfirmation

When we are disconfirmed they sometimes are telling us that we don't matter. They think that their opinions are more important. They fail to recognize or acknowlede us. This occured to me during a Shakespeare class that I had. I had taken one before and received a B so I wanted to study his work more. It turned out to be a mistake.

This professor had it in her mind that I couldn't understand Shakespeare. She built a defensi climate. The book explains that, "with some people we feel disconfirmed or on guard. I trried to argue with her over a paper. She is certain the Romeo and Juliet movie version with Leonardo DiCaprio doesn't play along with the actual play. She said I must of never tried it, but I actually sat with the play and followed along. They only leave out one minor scene, but I was also surprised by that. I just couldn't get her to admit that she was wrong. She was using certainty by using words that are absolute. The book says, "this kind of language suggests that there is one and only one answer." She built a learning environment that wasn't inviting. This made it difficult for her to communicate properly and this made it impossible for me to learn.

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand with your example. I feel the same way with the example I used for this post. I hate people that think they are always right. They think what they say is the only answer and they are to stubborn to realize they are wrong. This happens to me all the time at my job. For me I just choose to ignore those ignorant people (because I can’t just quit my job). However I don’t just let people take advantage of me I let them know how I feel and I they don’t lie it well that’s just to bad. This is probably not a good way to deal with a situation but stubborn people won’t change their mind.

    ReplyDelete